Processes requests and receives clinical laboratory and research testing material within the Laboratory; accessions, processes, and routes testing material to appropriate area; handles requests for laboratory reports, specimen tracking, and laboratory requests via various correspondence methods; assists with the performance of laboratory quality control, equipment maintenance, and quality assurance activities; processes requests for supplies.
- Answers telephones, routes callers, takes messages and provides routine information to parties requesting services from the clinical laboratories
- Prints, sorts, and distributes various documents and correspondence as required
- Obtains required Release of Information signatures for external routing of laboratory reports/materials as necessary
- Receives and accessions laboratory testing material within the Laboratory Information Management System(s)
- Files and removes laboratory material from physical inventory locations; maintains the integrity of the physical/electronic inventory from retrieval and chain of custody of stored material
- Retrieves relevant laboratory testing information from multiple information systems
- Handles laboratory specimens utilizing appropriate blood/body fluid precautions and places them in appropriate temperature storage
- Packages laboratory material for delivery to the appropriate internal and external testing laboratory, ensuring compliance with required HIPAA and de-identification requirements; packages diagnostic specimens for external shipment in accordance with regulatory shipping requirements
- Assists in ordering, receiving, storing, distributing, and controlling of laboratory supply inventories
- Maintains files and stores relevant laboratory documentation in accordance with relevant regulatory standards for required storage periods.
- Performs laboratory specimen/product processing, quality control, preventative maintenance, and quality assurance activities
- Enhances professional growth and development by participating in educational programs, reading current literature and participating in in-service meetings and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
OTHER DESCRIPTIVE ELEMENTS
The Medical Laboratory Assistant reports to the Director of Clinical Services with shared reporting to the Supervising Medical Laboratory Scientist. The incumbent has limited authority to make decisions or commitments directly related to the performance of the job and the authority to make decisions or commitments within the limits of Company policies and procedures that are clearly specified. Decisions are varied and based on well-defined guidelines and practices.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS
The Medical Laboratory Assistant has contact within the department and routine contact outside the department.
- Must possess a working knowledge of medical, pathology, and laboratory terminology.
- Must have experience in the use of computers for data entry.
- Must have the ability to organize and handle details with ease.
- Must possess knowledge of basic clinical laboratory principles and processes
MACHINES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Personal computer
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree in a Healthcare discipline; preferred candidate will have Associate’s degree and the equivalent of one (1) year of full-time experience in a clinical or research setting requiring the use of medical/laboratory terminology; or
- High School diploma or G.E.D. and current enrollment in an approved BS program in Clinical Laboratory Technology; or
- High School diploma or G.E.D. and the equivalent of two (2) years of full time experience in a clinical or research setting requiring the use of medical/laboratory terminology
NOTE: Required degrees must have been granted by an accredited college or university or one recognized by OmniSeq, Inc. as following acceptable educational practices.
To apply, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org